12 September 2011

Being a Veggie Isn't Always Easy

This past May I was invited to a stunning, big-fat Croatian wedding!! The feast spared no expense as a string quartet and live band serenaded guests throughout the afternoon and well into the night!!

I love weddings and have to admit that I have been to probably at least 50 during my whole life. I've had a kicking time at every single one and feel so much excitement from the moment I open the invitation, pick out my dress, and finally see the bride for the very first time!!

This May wedding was a bit different for me because it was the first wedding I attended since becoming a vegetarian. By the time the wedding came I had been a veg head for just over a year and to be honest I found the switch from meat to beans and lentils surprisingly easy!! Seriously!! At first I thought I was doing it wrong since it was so darn easy, but I researched before the plunge and realized that I needed to make satisfying, hearty foods that contain protein, fibre, whole grains, and veggies at every meal (thanks Alicia Silverstone).

That being said there are times when I eat out with friends and only order sides (fries, salad, etc) or just pasta. Sometimes non-veggie restaurants don't have whole grains and lentils so I do what I can and make myself a Vega protein shake when I get home.

Anyway before the wedding I considered calling the happy couple to tell them that I am a veggie. I ran this past my mother and was told it's extremely rude to do that. So in order to be polite I said nothing! The day finally arrived and brought with it the most gorgeous spring day!! The wedding ceremony was tearful and beautiful in equal measure and the day went by quickly!! Before I knew it, dinner was being served. There was chicken soup, potatoes cooked with chicken, roast beef, salad, and rice. Since I sat there and barely ate anything, I ended up telling the other guests that I am a veggie. They were shocked and said "Croatian Vegetarian" doesn't even sound good lol. The only thing that wasn't cooked with meat (I think) was the salad and possibly the rice. I ate salad and rice for dinner and wasn't completely satisfied so I later ate about 4 desserts that night!! People always assume that vegetarians eat healthy, but in fact if done improperly a veggie diet can be really unhealthy. After all one could drink only pop and eat chips and still be a veggie!!

Although the wedding was fun and beautiful, my "vegetarian" meal left something to be desired. I learned an important lesson that day - my values are more important than being polite! Next time I will call the happy couple and ask for a simple veggie meal (it doesn't even have to contain protein, fibre, and whole grains - pasta will do just fine). I personally don't think it's rude to request this because most couples who are throwing a wedding want everyone to enjoy themselves!! Overall I still had a blast at one of the most lavish weddings I've ever had the pleasure of attending!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should defiantly let people know! Most caterers have a vegetarian meal option, and just need to know ahead of time (it's also usually less expensive for the bride/groom for your plate too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Crystal!! I guess I was just trying to be polite, but realized in the end that it's really not so rude to ask for veggie food. And like you said it's less expensive for the couple too!!

    ReplyDelete